Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Traditions & Activities - Pumpkin Picking

Nearing the end of our second year of marriage, we are beginning to formulate the traditions that we want to have as our own family. As it started to get colder this fall, I've gotten so excited for the holidays. A few days ago, I actually snuggled up and wrote down pages upon pages of seasonal traditions and activities I would like for us to do. They don't have to be done every year, mind you, but I love the idea of having something fun and seasonal ready to go for the occasional afternoon that we're looking for something to do (ha! Does that ever happen?). 

This particular list came after a refocusing discussion between my husband and I about the cost of activities. I am all about "moments." You'll often hear me say, "But it's about the experience!" or "Just think of the memories we are creating." My husband appreciates that, prefers that our experiences and memories are created while not squeezing the life out of our bank account. Concept understood. So I took it upon myself to create five activities lists (Fall, Christmas, Winter, Spring, Summer) with three sub-lists under each one (Free, Low-Med Cost, Splurge). Then, I went nuts on Pinterest and searched all kinds of seasonal activities. There are so many fun activities that I wrote down for once we have kids - just think of the wonder that will be in their eyes and faces! But I made sure to write down plenty of activities and traditions for Ozzie and I to do as a couple now. I'll be sharing some of these different ideas with you as we try them out, but this weekend, we decided to go on one of my favorite fall traditions.

Ozzie and I went to Cherry Hill Orchards for the day for our pumpkin and apple picking tradition. We love Cherry Hill, because they have everything all in one place for a really reasonable price, which makes it so fun to enjoy without worrying about how much every activity is costing. After getting advice on which apples are best to use for baking apple dumplings, pies, and apple sauce (baking day with mom next Saturday!), we walked through the tasting arena of apples in their shop. They had every kind of apples you could think of! We ended up with about 20 tart, baking apples and 14 large, dumpling apples, which I'm sure we'll end up mixing. After looking around the shop, we got our ticket for the hayride and climbed aboard.

I just love watching the children on the hayride. They each have a different way of taking it all in - whether they're fascinated by the hay, the tractor, the bumpy ride, or all the pumpkins and apples we were passing, seeing it through their eyes is just so precious. I think that's part of what I enjoy about pumpkin picking, and many of our other traditions as well! I love the idea that someday we will get to teach our children these traditions and they'll know that mommy and daddy have been doing these things forever. They'll get to look at the pictures of when it was just us going to the pumpkin patch, wearing funny clothes and smiling like cheeseballs. 

We of course picked out our pumpkins, stomping through muddy ground, while Ozzie insisted that we go to the very end of the pumpkin patch so we don't miss anything. We found the cutest pile of little pumpkins at the end, and I wanted so badly to bring them back to the middle of the patch so the kids could find cute pumpkins amidst all the rotted and squashed ones (there really weren't many left). We ended up finding two cute pumpkins sitting next to each other - Ozzie liked a light orange, small pumpkin and I had my eye on a beautiful dark orange and taller one. We laughed and said they were like each other! 


Last year's pumpkin picking - Our first time!



2 comments:

  1. Oh, Steph, your great grandma would be proud of you. She loved to bake too. She loved going to Cherry Hill and always got her large apple dumpling apples there. I'm glad you're keeping up the baking tradition. One word of caution: all the delicious, memory-building things also put on the pounds: apple pies, cookies, homemade...
    But sometimes memories are worth it. Sure beats living on diet food---what kind of memory is that????

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do enjoy baking and cooking - It's exciting to put something on the table that you worked on, and had fun doing! Of course - everything in moderation. :) I really do enjoy cooking with vegetables, healthy proteins, and whole grains. I especially have fun discovering new veggies that I never used in cooking before! And I think that memories can be made both ways - if you're not healthy, you won't be able to make those memories in the first place. Think of all the mountains (or sand dunes!) to climb, parks to romp through, beaches to swim in, and everything else fun and active to do!

    Thanks for reading and commenting!! Love you, Grandma!

    ReplyDelete